Library offers options for people staying home
While Lonesome Pine Regional Library branches are closed due to the coronavirus emergency, the library system offers many services you can access from home.
System Director Julie Short highlighted the offerings in a Friday release:
• Pickup service. All branches are now offering porch or foyer pick up, depending on location. Pickup services are available during normal operating hours. To check out materials, cardholders may call or email their local library or place holds through the website, www.lprlibrary.org. For details, call your local library. No fines are charged while branches are closed.
• Books-By-Mail service. Call 276/328-8325 or 328-4806 and library staff will be happy to mail books and other formats to you (not including movies).
• Digital resources. Any patron with a library card may access ebooks, audiobooks, videos, movies, magazines and more at www.lprlibrary.org. “We would like to thank many e-resource providers, such as Audible and TumbleBooks, for offering free services during our closure. This sharing spirit truly demonstrates that we are all coming together to meet your needs,” says Short.
• Online application for library cards. LPRL also provides an online registration form for library cards so residents who do not already have a card can checkout for porch/foyer pickup and obtain easy access to e-resources.
• Online programs. Branches are connecting with communities through social media pages by not only posting news but offering children’s programs, including live story time, finger plays and more. Short explains: “Several publishers have given permission for online read-alouds, and we are most appreciative. We enjoy catching up with you through this fun interaction!”
• Free printing/faxing via email. Email your documents to your local library and you can utilize the porch/foyer pickup for retrieval. Short reminds everyone, “We ask patrons to be mindful that library staff members will see your information, so please use your discretion and best judgment about emailing any personal or private information.”
For more information, contact your local library:
• Wise: 276/328-8061, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Big Stone Gap: 276/523-1334, email@example.com.
• Coeburn: 276/395-6152, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• St. Paul: 276/762-9702, email@example.com.
• Clintwood: 276/926-6617, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Haysi: 276/865-4851. email@example.com.
• Mailbox Library: 276/328-4806, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support the Coalfield Progress by subscribing today!