BIG STONE GAP — In another high-energy contest, the Wolfpack entered the Bear Den looking for revenge. After outscoring the Bears 28-17, the ‘Pack forced the game into overtime, two of them. The Bears came out victorious 90-85.

“I want to first of all give them credit. In the fourth quarter, we quit playing and they kept playing. We had a fifteen-point lead in the fourth. A lot of teams would just give up and pack it in. But these guys kept playing. Coach McCowan did a great job coaching,” Union head coach Zack Moore said.

The game started off a bit slowly as it was almost four minutes into the contest before Tyler O’Quin got the Wolfpack on the board. They would take an 11-10 lead into the second quarter.

The Bears took the lead with an offensive rebound and putback by Connor Giza less than a minute into the second. Union then outscored Ridgeview 14-7 to take a 25-18 lead into the locker room.

Both teams showed off their shooting abilities in the second half as Union put up 44 points and the Wolfpack dropped 50.

The Bears were able to manage 22 points to Ridgeview’s 17 in the two overtimes to lead to the victory.

Freshman Andy Jones has had an impact from moment one for the Bears. He led the team in scoring with 26 points including being 5-for-5 from the free throw line.

“It seemed like every time we needed a basket or needed an answer for something they threw at us, Andy was the guy that stepped up,” Moore said.

“Tonight, my teammates knew I was hot and they kept finding me, so I have to give all of the credit to them. I just come out here and do what I love to do,” Jones said.

Ridgeview head coach Evan McCowan was all smiles post-game.

“That was just a great game between two really good teams. I felt like we both knew what each other was going to do. So we tried to make adjustments. I have to give credit to Union and their effort tonight,” McCowan said.

“I’m really proud of my guys. We battled all night long. We had some guys step up and hit some big shots for us. This is the kind of game that makes you proud as a coach because we didn’t give up,” McCowan continued.