To help residents who have difficulty paying heating bills, Old Dominion Power Co. matches customer donations to the WinterShare Energy Fund heating assistance program.
The company encourages customers to make a tax-deductible donation by making a monthly pledge or one-time contribution.
The WinterShare Energy Fund is a third-party nonprofit program that helps customers in financial crises pay their heating bills.
Eligibility for heating assistance is determined by the WinterShare nonprofit organization. The program assists families in dire financial situations, leaving a family with no heat or the immediate prospect of no heat; and families with a member who is elderly, very young, seriously ill or disabled.
ODP reminds customers to take safety precautions during winter:
• Have your furnace checked by a certified professional to make sure it’s in peak operating condition. Remember to check your filter each month and replace it as necessary, based on the manufacturer’s recommendations. A dirty filter will slow air flow, making the system work harder to keep the indoor air temperature at a consistent, comfortable setting.
• Seal leaks and gaps around your home with caulk, spray foam, or weather-stripping to keep the heat in and the cold out.
• Build an emergency kit that includes a battery-powered radio, flashlights for everyone in the family, fresh batteries for any devices, first-aid kit, and over-the-counter and prescription medications. A complete list of essential emergency kit supplies can be found at www.ready.gov.
• Always operate a portable generator safely and outdoors to allow for proper venting. Consult with a qualified, licensed electrician and/or review the manufacturer's instructions before you install the generator.
• Snow and ice accumulation on tree branches can sometimes cause them to break and fall into power lines. Stay away and consider all fallen wires dangerous.
• ODP customers should call 800/981-0600 to report a downed wire or power outage. And ODP customers can also report an outage online at lge-ku.com after registering their account.
• ODP customers can also report power outages and request updates by text. Text OUTAGE to 4LGEKU (454358). For outage updates text STATUS.