A small fire that erupted Tuesday in the Mountain View Regional Medical Center emergency department resulted from a patient failing to heed a warning, according to Norton Police Chief James Lane.
Lane confirmed Thursday that the call came in around 5:48 p.m. Tuesday.
A woman was a patient in the emergency room. Staff had told her she could not smoke there, but she lit up anyway, Lane explained. Because oxygen was in use, a fire started that destroyed the patient care bed and caused other damage, he said.
Police are talking with the commonwealth attorney’s office about whether to charge the woman with a crime, Lane said.