Attorney General Mark R. Herring is encouraging Virginians with unused or expired medications to take advantage of DEA Prescription Drug Take-Back Day this Saturday, Oct. 22.
Law enforcement agencies and community partners will accept unused or expired medications for proper disposal before they can be misused, abused or accidentally ingested.
Local drop-off locations include:
• Norton police department, 780 Commonwealth Dr.
• Coeburn police department, 114 Front St.
• Big Stone Gap police department, 603 Wood Ave. East.
• Wise police department, 207 Woodland Dr.
• Dickenson County sheriff’s office, 410 Chase St., Clintwood.
“Keeping unused prescriptions around the house increases the likelihood that they will eventually be misused or abused, or even accidentally ingested by a child or grandchild,” said Herring. “Prescription opioids are especially powerful medications that can easily lead to dependence, abuse of harder drugs like heroin or fentanyl, or even lead to a fatal overdose.”