The first portion for the Pound River Virginia Scenic Designation is finished!
We had a beautiful day on Friday, June 14, for the team from the Virginia Department of Conser-vation and Recreation to do the evaluation of the Dickenson County section of the Pound River from the Poodle Joe Bridge at Norland down to the Pound River Campground, about 9 to 9 ½ miles.
If anyone has any history for this portion of the area, please send it to me or give me a call at the chamber. We need that portion as part of the evaluation. I have the history of the old Post Office and the community of Norland but am looking for any interesting history along the river.
The team from Richmond included Lynn Crump, Tricia Pearsall and Bernadette Lemasters and the guides from OAC Adventures were Rick Barton and Scarlet Crowder Collie.
Thanks to everyone who was involved and special thanks to Austin Bradley for the lodging accommodations for the team.
If the river is recommended by the team for Virginia Scenic River designation, then we will proceed with asking one of our legislators to present it during the 2020 session at the General Assembly.
The Dickenson County Chamber will be holding its annual Business Appreciation Cookout on Friday, June 21. All Chamber members are invited to come and enjoy networking and a great evening showing appreciation to all our businesses and presenting our annual Business of the Year awards. The cookout will be held at 6 p.m. at the Clintwood Walk Track Shelter. Please RSVP if you plan on attending. We will be enjoying a barbecue dinner catered by Wright Way Service, a new member of our Chamber. We would like to thank all our sponsors who made this possible and will be acknowledging them at the cookout.
Get your 60’s clothing ready for a fun night at the Jettie Baker Center on June 28 as we partner on our “50 Years of LOVE” promotion with the Jettie Baker Center. We will be doing a costume contest as well as hearing some great music from 1969, the year the Virginia is for Lovers slogan was developed. Come and enjoy a fun evening turning back the hands of time! Check out our event calendar for more details.
Don’t forget our LOVE photo contest. Just take a photo in front of the LOVE sign at the Breaks Park or the one at our Dickenson County Chamber/Visitor Center and post it on your Facebook page and tag the Breaks Interstate Park and Dickenson County Tourism and you will be entered to win some great prizes including the grand prize of a night at one of the cabins overlooking the lake at the Breaks Park plus other great prizes. Prizes will be given away at the end of our “50 Years of LOVE” promotion on July 5.
The Town of Clintwood is busy getting ready for the annual Fourth of July Celebration. If you are interested in putting a float in the parade or are a vendor, contact Doris Rife at the Town of Clintwood for more information. As always, the town has some great events planned during the celebration including a great band and the awesome fireworks. There will be free rides for the kids. A full schedule of events will be posted soon.
If you need brochures, maps or other information on Dickenson County or the region, stop by our Dickenson County Chamber/Visitor Center. We also are happy to display the Dr. Phipps Family medical memorabilia and the history of the old Dickenson County Hospital in our Dr. Phipps Family Museum located in the visitor center. If you were born at the old Dickenson County Hospital, there is a chance that we have a copy of your birth record and will be happy to make you a copy. Our hours are 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday- Friday.
Please check out all the fun things we have listed in our event calendar to do in Dickenson County.
If you enjoy the outdoors, then we have many trails, lots of fishing, motorcycle trails, ATV trails, rock climbing, zip lining, bicycling, horseback riding, kayaking, tubing, mountain biking, pedal boats, public swimming pools plus other exciting things to do right here in the county.
If you have an event you want us to promote, please email it to us at email@example.com or give us a call at 276-926-6074.
What’s Happening – Chamber & Tourism
• 6/19/19 (Wednesday) @ 2-5:30 p.m. DC Partners for Prevention Fundraiser. An afternoon of Chalk Couture and fun. Hosted by Jessie Mullins at the Dickenson Center for Education and Research, 818 Happy Valley Drive, Clintwood. For more information, see facebook@ccjmullins.
• 6/21/19 (Friday) @ 6 p.m. Dickenson County Chamber’s Business Appreciation and awards cookout (members) at the Clintwood walk track shelter.
• 6/22/19 (Friday) Family Fun Night, CPM Trail Riders @ 354 Ramey Flats Road, Clintwood. Beginning at 5 p.m. for members and their families with a hot dog dinner, games and activities. Horse shows on 7/13/19, 8/10/19 (Memorial Show) and 9/14/19. Juvenile Horse Show on 9/28/19.
• 6/28/19 (Friday) @ 7-9 p.m. – “Songs of ’69” Concert, 6 p.m., Cruise-In & Costume Contest – 50 Years of Love Celebration in partnership with Dickenson County Tourism at the Jettie Baker Center in Clintwood. Tickets $5 at the door with children 5 and under free. For more information call 276-926-8383.
• 6/30/19 2019 Dickenson/Buchanan River Tournaments 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Russell Fork location at Haysi Town Hall Picnic Shelter on the following Sundays, 6/30, 7/28 and 8/18 and Levisa location, Little Prater Park & Ride, on the following Sundays – 7/14, 8/11 and 8/17. Cost $20 per team with optional $5 big fish. 8/17 & 8/18 – two-day tournament cost, $50. Contact Haysi Supply Co. for more information. 276-865-4845.
• 7/4/19 (Thursday) – Clintwood’s Fourth of July Parade, Celebration and Fireworks at the Ralph Cummins Stadium. For more information, call the Town of Clintwood at 276-926-8383.
• 7/4-7/7/19 (Thursday – Sunday) Independence Day Celebration. Various outdoor and recreational opportunities at Breaks Interstate Park. Details to be announced. For more information, call 276-865-4413 or www.breakspark.com.
• 7/06/19 (Saturday) 8 – 11 p.m. “Rockin by the River” Music Series starring Winchester 49 with The Company Store on the stage at Thunder River Campground, 1558 Splashdam Road in Haysi. Admission $6 per person with children 12 & under free. Bring your lawn chairs. For more info, call 276-701-9876 or visit their Facebook page.
• 7/13/19 (Saturday) McClure Kiwanis Car Show at Breaks Interstate Park. For more information, call 276-865-4413 or www.breakspark.com.
• 7/13/19 (Saturday) 6 p.m. - Haysi Truck Pull @ Haysi Kiwanis Park. Gates open @ 4 p.m. with registration @ 4-6 p.m.. Gate Price – 12 and up, $8, Children under 12 – free. Entry Fee - $20 per class. Additional date is 8/3.
• 7/17 – 7/20/19 (Wednesday – Saturday) – Dickenson County Fair @ Haysi Kiwanis Park/DC Fairgrounds. More information to follow.
• 7/20/19 (Saturday) @ 6:30 p.m. Horse Shows at the Haysi Kiwanis Park. Through September, third weekend of the month.