The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy has awarded 20 coal mines in the commonwealth for no injuries on their sites in 2018.
Nine miners were also recognized with individual awards for working decades without an injury, according to a May 16 press release. In addition, five surface mines will receive a special award for the entire crew working five years without a lost time accident.
“The operators and miners are to be commended for such attention to safety at their sites,” said Virginia Mine Chief Randy Moore. “Our mine safety team also deserves credit for their public service of visiting these sites, talking with miners and training the workforce in an effort to ensure all coal miners return home safely at the end of their shifts.”
In 2018, 25 coal mines worked a combined nearly 2.5 million employee hours without a lost time accident.
Mines receiving awards include:
SURFACE MINES: ENTIRE CREW WORKING AT LEAST FIVE YEARS WITH NO LOST TIME ACCIDENTS
• Black Diamond Co., Wellmore #8 prep plant, Buchanan County: 540,179 employee hours.
• Paramont Contura LLC, Tom’s Creek complex, Wise County: 365,607 employee hours.
• Surface Minerals Co., Huffman Fork, Buchanan County: 335,378 employee hours.
• Ramaco Resources Land Holdings LLC, Coal Creek prep plant, Tazewell County: 207,127 employee hours.
• Savage Services Corp., blending terminal, Wise County: 140,157 employee hours.
LARGE UNDERGROUND CATEGORY
• Buchanan Minerals LLC, Buchanan Mine #1, Buchanan County: 1,407,719 employee hours.
MEDIUM UNDERGROUND CATEGORY
• AB&J Coal Co. Inc. No. 6 Mine, Buchanan County: 48,041 employee hours.
LARGE SURFACE CATEGORY
• Surface Minerals, Surface Mine No. 1, Buchanan County: 148,984 employee hours.
• Black Diamond Co., Wellmore #8 prep plant, Buchanan County: 129,225 employee hours.
• Paramont Contura, Toms Creek prep plant, Wise County: 82,209 employee hours.
• Surface Minerals, Huffman Fork, Buchanan County: 80,964 employee hours.
• Paramont Contura LLC, Long Branch Surface & HWM, Dickenson County: 67,757 employee hours.
• BlackJewel LLC, P-7 Pigeon Creek, Wise County: 65,745 employee hours.
• BlackJewel LLC, P-14, Lee County: 58,288 employee hours.
• Ridgetop Development, #1, Wise County: 55,375 employee hours.
MEDIUM SURFACE CATEGORY
• Mill Creek Mining, Ken Energy Corp., Dickenson County: 47,456 employee hours.
• Apex Energy Inc., No. 10, Buchanan County: 44,038 employee hours.
• Ramaco Resources, Coal Creek prep plant, Tazewell County: 40,425 employee hours.
• Humphreys Enterprises Inc., Wise County: 28,027 employee hours.
• Extra Energy Inc., VA Point Surface, Tazewell County: 27,484 employee hours.
• True Energy LLC, True Energy Fuels Mine, Wise County: 26,570 employee hours.
SMALL SURFACE CATEGORY
• Savage Services, blending terminal, Wise County: 24,906 employee hours.
• Surface Minerals Co., Hackney, Buchanan County: 22,933 employee hours.
• Wellmore Coal Co. LLC, #7 prep plant, Buchanan County: 17,102 employee hours.
• CW Augering Inc., No. 2, Buchanan County: 10,288 employee hours.
• Randy Mullins, Paramont Contura: 43 years.
• Robin Chisenhall, Paramont Contura: 33 years.
• Mike Cox, Paramont Contura: 30 years.
• Joe McFarland, Paramont Contura: 22 years.
• Kenneth Webb, Paramont Contura: 22 years.
• Ronny Smith, Paramont Contura: 22 years.
• Dave Dillon, Paramont Contura: 20 years.
• Jamie Ratliff, Paramont Contura: 18 years.
• Brad Ratliff, Paramont Contura: 13 years.